Friday, April 19, 2013

AppLocker Audit Mode Three Months Later

I enabled AppLocker in audit mode about 3 months ago for all of our workstations. I spent about 2 weeks checking the logs and adding rules. I put it on the back burner to take care of some other things and almost forgot about it.  I ran those scripts I posted previously to check up on my workstations and things look fairly clean. Here are a few things that stand out to me.

There are a handful of things that run out of the user's profile and ProgramData that I need to be aware of.  I see a Citrix and WebEx client pop up on a few machines. Spotify also jumps out in the list. I didn't realize how many of our users used that. I also see a few Java updates being ran from the temp internet files folder. Nothing too crazy here that would have impacted much. I expect it would have been a hand full of panic calls from people that could not get some web conferences to work.

I did find a custom app that we wrote sitting on some desktops that would have broke. That would be been a big deal. I think I will just sign those apps and place them in the Program Files folder. I can use these logs to track down these users. This app is just an exe so there is no installer or registry thumbprints to look for.

The last group of findings were just a hand full of special machines that had something installed to a folder on the root of the C: drive. I could guess exactly where these machines were based on the names of those folders. I will handle these case by case. I am tempted to just give them local exceptions instead of baking something into the main policy.

Now that we are aware of these things, we can do things right going forward. Primarily loading everything into the program files would be the most help. I plan on letting this go for another several months and see what else I pick up.

No comments: