Friday, February 25, 2005

All about the DHCP server callout API functions.

I have looked for this before, I just didn't know what to search for.

I have looked for scripting dhcp, loading dhcp as a ActiveX control, and commandline access. And I never found what I was looking for.

I was wanting to track DHCP requests and limit who is to receive them. This is exactly what I needed.

other questions. How would this work with VB.NET? I probably shouldn't write DHCP dll's in managed code, but VB is our standard language. Would it be easyer to write a wrapper in C++ to let me do the work in VB.NET? Any thoughts?

What about running 2 DHCP Servers on the same box and loading custom DLL's. I want one group of computers to get one ip range and another to get a different range. Would that be possible, or am I dreaming.

All about the DHCP server callout API functions.

1 comment:

Ananth said...

I guess you can write C++ wrapper arround the managed code. This should be possible.
Other than that, I don't know why you should be running two DHCP servers on the same box. If all you wanted to acheive was to make sure that computers belonging to two distinct groups are allocated an IP address from two distinct ranges (scopes in DHCP terminology), I am afraid that this is not possible today. The reason why this is not possible today is that the DHCP server chooses a scope from which it doles out an IP address based only on the subnet where the client is existing. This is done so that the machine gets an address that is appropriate to the link.